Tuesday, April 6, 2010

There's Still Pride In Buying American

I thought I'd remind people that there are still a lot of products made 100% in America and we have workers who take pride in making those products. I know most people don't think about that very much when they are shopping but there are still some of us that do search for that "Made in America" tag on the product.


Of course in this day and age you can never buy every thing you need from an American manufacturer. We are forced to buy certain products made in another country because we have forced a lot of businesses to move their factories out of the country, whether it's for tax reasons or cheaper labor.

But it's always nice to come across a company that was started here and is still producing their products. I'll be listing a few every so often. You can make your own mind up about what you buy and where it is made.

The first product is really an "All-American" product since it is made for "America's pastime" since 1884. The Louisville Slugger baseball bat made in Louisville, Kentucky by the Hillerich & Bradsby Co. They produce over 2,000 bats a day, all from American grown trees!

They provide all of the bats for every major league baseball team as well as most minor league team. Go to any high school or college ball game and you're likely see mostly Louisville slugger bats, whether they are wooden or aluminum.


Do some research and read about the company history and you'll be impressed. The company even did their part when our country went to war years ago by turning out rifle stocks to be used by our soldiers.

As American as apple pie, cracker jack and baseball bats!


The next company has been around since 1903. Crayola crayons made by the Binney & Smith Company located in Easton, Pa. 

The first box of crayons contained eight crayons. The crayons were sold for a nickel and the colors were black, brown, blue, red, purple, orange, yellow, and green.


The word Crayola was created by Alice Stead Binney (wife of Edwin Binney) who took the French words for chalk (craie) and oily (oleaginous) and combined them. Today, there over one hundred different types of crayons being made by Crayola.


Since they started making crayons they have produced over 150-billion! I sure used up my share of those throughout the years. And have you ever gone to buy crayons for your kids and picked up another brand? I know I haven't. I have been a loyal Crayola consumer all my life!

The third company I'm adding today is located in in Shelton, CT. The Pratt-Read tool company was founded in 1798 and is the second oldest manufacturing business in America!


They started out making beads, buttons and of all things, billiard balls. They later produced piano actions and keyboards before making screwdrivers and other hand tools.


I know most all tools are no longer made in America and it's rare to find some that are still being made here. Most people think of Craftsman tools produced for Sears which were also made in America. But lately there has been a question about how much of the tool is actually produced in this country and if its marked Craftsman and isn't a hand tool it likely is not made in the U.S.


All I know is that from now on I will only be buying Pratt-Read screwdrivers and related items!


And the last one for today is one of my personal favorites. Tabasco pepper sauce made by the McIlhenny company in Avery Island, LA. Founded in 1868 it has a fascinating history and you will enjoy using this link to read about it. Tabasco History. 

 I can guarantee you that I always have a bottle of Tabasco in my home. My wife can attest that I have even carried my own with me if I knew I was going to eat somewhere and they didn't carry that brand. Clam chowder without Tabasco sauce? Not gonna happen!


To a die-hard Tabasco fan it is not called a "hot sauce". It's a pepper sauce. It has it's own unique flavor unlike any other brand made. Blindfold me and I can pick it out.
Have you had your shot of Tabasco today? I had mine on a sausage burrito for breakfast and a couple of White Castles for lunch!


That will be it for today. I'll be adding more companies soon. Be sure to drop me a note if you have a favorite American made product of your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Looking forward to your comments but please remember they will be seen by all.