Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Giving Thanks

I will admit that I do a lot of moaning and groaning about the things that bug me in this world these days. I do wish we could get back to producing the majority of products that we use by having them made in America. I do wish that we could start enforcing our laws concerning illegal aliens entering our country. I do want our leaders to allow our armed services to fight any war we are in by using any resource available to annihilate any adversary as quickly as possible. I do want any politician who abuses his/her office by committing any criminal act to be dealt with as if they were a private citizen. I would like to see all political parties quit fighting and hating each other and use all that energy to work together to solve our country's problems. I want to quit depending on foreign countries for our fuel. I want to see Pete Rose in the baseball Hall of Fame. But I know that most of that will likely never happen. So at least allow me to vent once in a while so my head won't explode.


But with tomorrow being Thanksgiving I'd like to make this post about something besides a complaint. I want to admit that I have so  much to be thankful for and I do not take it for granted. 
First and foremost I have a beautiful wife that I still can't figure out how I got her to marry me. The strength she must have to put up with my faults. You think everything I write and complain about in this blog she hasn't heard a thousand times? Without her I'd be lost. Period. 

I have my health for the most part, except for my blood pressure nearing the exploding point at certain times when I watch the news or I'm driving in traffic. And I throw caution to the wind when it comes to eating all the things that are bad for you.

I have two great kids and four wonderful grandchildren that I want to spend more time with as soon as possible.

I have a brother and sister that I love and all of my nieces and nephews and their children.

I have the best in-laws and extended family members in the world and I love each one of them in their own special way, regardless if they insist I have "favorites". 

I have a lot of people that give me the privilege of calling them friends. Those are hard to come by and when you are lucky enough to find a true friend make sure you let them know how special they are to you.

I have my faith in God and I'd like to think that I have done things on this earth to make Him proud of me. 

And I am thankful for being able to retire from a job that I always loved doing and hopefully I helped a few people along the way that allowed them to change their lives in a positive way, or provided comfort or protection when they needed it most. 

Of course I could go on forever with all of the things I am thankful for but I don't want this to be all about me. I just wanted to use this as my way of saying happy Thanksgiving to everyone and I hope you take a moment to reflect on the things you are thankful for and ask you to express yourself to your loved ones. Oh, and be nice to strangers also, regardless of their political views....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Looking forward to your comments but please remember they will be seen by all.